Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Saving Dogs

As many of you may know I am a huge animal lover. I love them all! Especially furry cute ones. I'm on a mission to save this world, one dog at a time. Though I love all animals, it seems dogs are my biggest passion. I love them, I love their cute little faces. I love the greeting I get from them when I've been away for only a few minutes. I love how happy they are to always see me. I love their unconditional love. I was talking w/ a gentleman last week and topic of discussion was the unconditional love you get from dogs. I had just recently told a co-worker (no not blonde girl) that if you wanted to really feel unconditional love - get a dog. He says to me yes, a dog doesn't care how much money you make. Doesn't care what brand clothes you wear or the type of car you drive. Doesn't care what your health issues are. Doesn't care where or how you were raised. Loves you always. He then says to me: Do you know where else you can find that same kind of love? I say of course "from God!" He says yes, that's exactly right....now what is Dog spelled backwards! I honestly never thought about it.
So I wanted to share w/ you the 2 lives we have saved recently. 

First meet Meatball:

Meatball was a 5 month old Great Pyrenees/St Bernard mix. When we got him he was 75 lbs. Meatball was in a kill shelter and had only 2 hours to live. If they didn't find him a foster home then he would have been put down. Senseless!!! He seemed to be pretty clean, and in pretty good condition so I believe someone got him w/out realizing just how big he was going to get. He was with us for a week before he was taken to his forever home up north. He was a happy dog, huge and thought he was a lap dog. He was A LOT of work though. Whew, I never knew that a dog that big was so much work. We had a German Shepherd, but she was a breeze to care for. He was still a joy and I was more than happy saving his life. Why exactly would you let a face like that be put down? 

Most recently we had Diego:

Diego is a 6 month old pure bred Chihuahua! Isn't he adorable? This little guy has had such a rough start at life. After being weened from his mother he was placed into a home w/ a couple. The man tragically died in a car accident and his wife chose not to keep him. She gave him to a lady who had him for a few months, and then decided she didn't have time for him. How unfortunate, because this little guy is an angel! So she asked me if I wanted him. YES! But hubby said no, we have 2 Chihuahua's and don't need another. Well we went on vacation, came home and when I went back to work, she came in. She said that she hadn't found a home for him and was going to take him to the pound. No no no...give me a day, let me talk to hubby and please please please do not take him to the pound. So I came home and asked hubby if we could take him, just to find him a home and promised I wouldn't ask to keep him, because I just wanted to save his little life. Hubs being the dog lover I am also agreed. So I got him the next day. Oh he was just the cutest, loving, and adorable. I had him for 4 days and got extremely attached. Hubby had a lady at work who's mom had just lost her dog to old age and wanted him. I reluctantly agreed. It broke my heart to let him go. Saddened me and I cried. Yes people after just 4 days I cried all day and all night for this dog. I had fallen in love! He's in a happy home, one that I am sure is caring wonderfully for him. I can also check on him whenever. 

So after taking in, caring, and falling in love with these 2 dogs, I ask myself: Am I cut out for this? I get attached so quickly and so easily. It breaks my heart tremendously to let them go. It tears me apart and I cry for them. I at first said I wouldn't do it again. It's too heart breaking. But I know the pain I feel is worth saving their lives, so the answer is yes. I am cut out for this, and I will do it again. I will have to suck up the pain and heartache to save their lives.

7 comments:

  1. You are an angel. Seriously. I have thought about fostering animals too but I worry because I get so attached as well. But I know it would be worth it to save their lives. Thank you for inspiring me girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a huge heart Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a huge heart Melissa! That is so cool that you have saved more than one dog! We got Cori from the vet and adopted her at 8 weeks old and my cat is almost 17 and I rescued her from a Animal Protection agency!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're a soft touch for animals. My kids are that way too, very much so. In fact, my son is going into wildlife preservation/zoology as a career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Nice Melissa, You are giving them a chance at a good life rather than being put to death, most people would never look back but you are looking ahead for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is awesome. I wish that more people would save the doggies. Ours is a rescue doggie. We love her dearly. I'll bet it would be hard to let them go after having them as part of the family for a while though. Sweet pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh how sweet are you. Dogs really do love you unconditionally. What a gift to be able to do that!

    ReplyDelete