Thursday, October 21, 2010

School Bullying...


**Image courtesy of www.dspnc.net**
Can you picture these children, alone, scared, and hurt because some other children felt the need to bully, belittle, and torture them. A child who is afraid to say something in fear of more bullying. A child feeling alone, because certainly someone has seen what is being done and not said anything. A child feeling scared because they know it's coming at any minute, or the next time they see the bullies. A child feeling hurt because this isn't really their fault!
Since I was younger the thought of someone being bullied has hit me in the heart. I was the kid in school who got along w/ everyone. I certainly had my group of friends that I hung out w/ the most, but I still associated w/ everyone. I didn't let the heavier kids get picked on, or the poor kids (by the way I was one of them) get picked on. I stood up for them, and spoke out where they were too afraid to. Did I get into fights for it....well yeah. Sure I probably bullied someone...you know that girl who liked my boyfriend and I was not about to let him break up with me for her! But it wasn't an every day bully and torture.
Recently there has been so much on the news about kids committing suicide because they are bullied so badly in school. This makes me stop and ask...did nobody see this happening? I'm not saying anyone is at fault other than the bullies themselves, but didn't anyone see any signs?
I have taught my children to be the same as I was. NEVER allow someone to be picked on!
About 2 weeks ago my daughter and I were talking about the boy at her school who has down's syndrome. Now understand that she goes to a very small school, and most of the kids get along great. As with any school they have their exceptions. She has been going to school with this boy since the 6th grade and just loves him to peices. This year they both entered high school. Scary year for all the Freshman.
From my daughters recap of the story, they were sitting in the lunch room eating. Some days Alexus and her friends will sit with this boys, and other days they sit elsewhere, but he knows he's always welcome to sit with them where ever they are. On this particular day, he had chose to sit elsewhere, and some kids starting picking on him. They were calling him stupid, ugly, and retarded. So he got up and went to sit with my daughter and her friends. Well the kids came over and continued with their idiocy act, and my daughter and her friend jumped up out of their chairs and started yelling at them. I'm sure they said some things that were not nice, I'm sure they probably may have used foul language. Because of the scene a teacher came over to find out what was going on. She proceeded to yell at my daughter and her friend for being "loud and obnoxious" to which my daughter let her know that "These kids are being mean to someone who can not defend himself in the same way we can, and we are not going to stand by and let it happen." The teacher made the other kids leave, but told the girls if they made a scene again they'd be in the office.
I am so proud of my girls! Yes, I call her friends my girls as well.

Michelle @ Momma's Pixie Dreams has challenged me to drink more water. So for every soda I drink, I have to drink water. This challenge starts on Sunday and I will keep you updated on how I'm doing.

8 comments:

  1. I appreciate this post! I was like you, got along with everyone and stuck up for those who were picked on. Until I moved to a new school my Freshman year of High School. I became the victim. I was new, and starting seeing this guy.. well, you guessed it. The ex girlfriend wasn't having it. She was very popular and made my Freshman year a living hell! It was awful. Of course, I'm sure at some point i've done the name calling and so on, but it got pretty bad! She had the whole school [small town, little high school] againist me. They did awful things. Although, I was weak, scared, sad, and frightened, it made me a stronger person within time. It is awful to know people loose their lives over being bullied. But I can see exactly how it happens. Thank GOD, who was on my side! Schools don't take it serious enough. Mine didn't. The girl quit school after that year. Life for me became much better. It allowed people to see me for me. I made a statement [not bragging] but I refused to hold onto a grudge for the followers. I wanted them to know that I am a good person & a nice person, I had many apologies and made lots of friends!
    Facebook, yesterday, had this Wear your Pink SHIRT to support NO BULLYING. I did wear mine! So, I appreciate this post! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great role model you've been for your children and I'm so proud of your daughter too!!

    I just got something in Buddy's backpack yesterday about October being bully awareness month (or something like that). Nice that the school waited until October was almost over to send something home. How can people even take it seriously if the schools don't? and on that, I think I have my blog post for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written! Bullies ought to be strung up by their you know whats. Oh, and I know - sometimes GIRL bullies are the WORST!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for them! I am sad the administration didn't understand they were doing what was right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just called school an hour ago about this happening to my son. a freshmen in high school. things are happening in class with the teacher at her desk. i ask my son where was the teacher-"at her desk looking at her computer". a kid pulled my child's desk over to him with my son in his desk-to ask for gum! this is the third day this week and yesterday he broke his pencil in half and threw the eraser across the room.! how does she not hear the scrapping on the floor of a desk being pulled? how can this happen three days in a row?
    this is just one of the instances this week my son has had to deal with. he has been asking to change schools since the beginning of the school year but would not tell me why other than saying he just wants new friends. don;t know what to do. where are these teachers and administrators? he said that if i did not listen to him he would kill himself.? scared-mad-worried sick....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're an awesome example!! bullying is SUCH a problem and it just breaks my heart to see kids have to go through this. I preach and preach to my kids about tolerance, acceptance and standing up for those who need it. With any luck..enough parents like us will breed into humanity what it lacks! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am proud your daughter and her friends stood up for this young man, if the situation comes up again I would defend her tooth and nail if she is called to the office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is fantastic that your girls stood up for someone like that! I'm impressed.

    I always told my kids that if they were bullied and IF they were hit first, they had my permission to hit back and beat the crap out of them if they wanted.

    ReplyDelete