Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Locks of Love

Mimi at He & Me + 3 has inspired this post.

I donate my hair every 3 years to Locks of Love. I grow it out and donate my hair. I have at one time donated 26 inches. That was a lot of hair, and a lot of tears shed when chopping it. So what made me start doing this? Let me tell you the story.

I have had long hair since I was a teen. All one length never really doing anything with it. When I was 21, I won't say how many years ago that was, I was standing in the check out lane at Wal-Mart. Behind me I hear a little girl about 6 talking to her Mom, when I hear her say to her mom "I would love to have hair like that!" I turned around and there she was, w/ a bandana wrapped around her head. Her mom told me she had a rare form of leukimia and they couldn't afford wigs. I got her name and number, went the next day and donated my hair to her. I kept in touch w/ them off and on. Just a quick hello and how is she doing. Her name was Amber, she was 6 almost 7 years old. Locks of Love made the wig and gave it to her. It took her several months to get it, but her mom said she was the happiest little girl on earth with her new hair. She said she'd swing around and around so she could feel the hair on her face. At night when she had to take it off to sleep, she laid it on the pillow beside her. Amber, sadly passed away 2 months later. The joy I know she was given will stick w/ me forever. So now, once my hair is long enough I donate it, so another child can feel and experience that same happiness.

It's been 2 years since I've donated, and sadly I won't be donating next year. You see, last time I donated 26 inches, I cut my hair very short, and now it must grow back out. But when it does, I will be back in donating my hair for a great cause! I hope all of you who can, will consider giving a child the same joy!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh Melissa, that was an awesome post. It brought tears to my eyes and that is why I was so sad watching that 8 inches fall to the ground and going to waste. You are so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post, and very admirable that you do that. On a lighter note at my current state of being near bald, do you think they will take a 70 yr old man's hair? I'm thinking that it might take me another 45 yrs to grow it out to 10 inches.

    Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet Melissa. I almost cried reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's very sweet Melissa! Locks of Love is a great organization!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Beautiful post. How long does it have to be to doante?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet and unselfish thing to do.You had me in tears. It is so heart wrenching to hear stories of little angels dying from terrible illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a very good thing. I got a little teared up reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is so wonderful and so beautiful.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm tearing up, reading this! What a wonderful gift you gave her.

    I couldn't donate mine b/c bleach is used on my hair. I didn't realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Melissa. Bless you for giving that child even a few months of joy with her new hair. You were her angel. Thanks for this post. It helped to remind that there is indeed good in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweetie? You just made me cry and smile the biggest smile I've had all day.

    Thank you for being such an inspirational and amazing woman. I know her mom will never forget the happiness that you gave her daughter.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story. I am going to show this to Emily. She is growing her hair out right now for Lock of love. I think this will mean a lot to her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa, that was beautiful! I think I would have melted right there in that store...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The joy that darling little girl must have felt those last 2 months with her hair!! You are a wonderful person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the sweetest person in the world for that. I am glad you still remember and still do it. I will do it when there is no hair color in my hair.. which may be will be some day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man! You really need to put a "You might need tissues while reading this" warning at the beginning of this post! I also grow out and donate my hair - I've done it twice so far - but it's never been that personal!! That is such a sweet and selfless thing to do for a stranger!

    ReplyDelete