Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Awareness Wednesday *Kidneys*

Did you know that March is National Kidney Month?
This you will find is a subject that hits close to home with me. I have had 1 family member die from kidney failure and another that kidney failure played a big role in her death. So I come armed today with information from the National Kidney Foundation. If you don't get enough information here today make sure to visit their site for more.

So first a story: My Grandma (dad's mom) passed away from kidney failure years ago. Now I wasn't close to her and barely seen her through out my life so her loss in our family wasn't one that impacted me greatly. Yes, I know that sounds horrible but it is what it is and there is a more personal story behind that. Maybe another post some day.
My mom also suffered kidney failure as well. Hers stemmed from her diabetes because she didn't take care of herself the way she should have. The loss of my mom was a great one. One that impacted my life so much I didn't know how I would ever breathe with out her. Most days I went over and did her dialysis for her, she hated doing it and had to have someone hold her hand to be sure she did. But one this particular day I didn't get to go over, I had to work over time and well I really needed the money at the time so I did it. My mom was fine that morning when I went to work. We had gone out for our usual Friday brunch and I went off to work. Later that day she had a heart attack which led to her untimely death at the age of 49. All of this related to diabetes and her kidneys.

Most people know that a major function of the kidneys is to remove waste products and excess fluid from the body. These waste products and excess fluid are removed through the urine. The production of urine involves highly complex steps of excretion and reabsorption. This process is necessary to maintain a stable balance of body chemicals.
The critical regulation of the body's salt, potassium and acid content is performed by the kidneys. The kidneys also produce hormones that affect the function of other organs. For example, a hormone produced by the kidneys stimulates red blood cell production. Other hormones produced by the kidneys help regulate blood pressure and control calcium metabolism.

Kidney disease usually affects both kidneys. If the kidneys' ability to filter the blood is seriously damaged by disease, wastes and excess fluid may build up in the body. Although many forms of kidney disease do not produce symptoms until late in the course of the disease, there are six warning signs of kidney disease:
  1. High blood pressure.
  2. Blood and/or protein in the urine.
  3. A creatinine and Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) blood test, outside the normal range. BUN and creatinine are waste that build up in your blood when your kidney function is reduced.
  4. A glomerular filtration rate (GFR) less than 60. GFR is a measure of kidney function.
  5. More frequent urination, particularly at night; difficult or painful urination.
  6. Puffiness around eyes, swelling of hands and feet.
The National Kidney Foundation's Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP®) offers free screening for those at risk - anyone 18 years and older with high blood pressure, diabetes or a family history of kidney disease. It is designed to raise awareness about kidney disease among high risk individuals and provide free testing and educational information, so that kidney disease and its complications can be prevented or delayed.


Find a screening near you here.

3 comments:

  1. So great that you're bringing some awareness to this. I think the screening program will help a lot of people if taken advantage of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for bringing awareness to something so close to you!

    I had a kidney infection years ago that left one of mine "vulnerable." I have to be really careful and I actually haven't been recently, so thanks for giving me something to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost everyone I have ever lost has ultimately died because of Kidney Failure. :(

    ReplyDelete