Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Bipolar and the Holidays

Do you have any idea what the holidays can do to someone who is bipolar? We are talking about serious episodes of mania and depression. It is not an easy thing to go through. There are so many triggers out there during these times. It's being up super high, extremely happy and excited for the holidays one minute and sad and crying over them the next. What causes this? Well exhaustion can, having your schedule interrupted, family visiting, and stress. It can be one of the craziest times of year. People who don't suffer with this have no idea what it's like, nor can they understand why one would act the way they do during such a cheerful time of year.
Think about it...there is so much pressure to be one place or another. Two families or more to please. Children to satisfy. Presents to buy, and bills to be paid. It can be the traffic, or the crowds that set off an episode. It can be a family member any of them standing too close. 
I know first hand how hard it is. I know what it's like to try to avoid the triggers, yet you always can't. This year...I've done good considering all that I'm going through. I still feel them, I still get agitated easily. Yesterday and today have been especially bad. I'm just irritable, cranky, and I don't want to be bothered. I can't just tell my loved ones that though. So I do my best to cope. What do I do? Well I go to the bathroom, I throw a little fit in there, and they probably thinking I've pooed a lot lately. It's what I have to do though.
So I'm here to tell you some of the triggers so maybe they can be avoided. Not all can be, but some can.
Disrupted schedules.
Over stimulation: This includes shopping, decorating, and preperation.
Holiday drinking. A lot of people drink more during the holidays than any other time of year. I don't touch alcohol at all.
Excessive spending.
Missing medications. It's so easy to do in the hustle and bustle of things.

Will I be able to avoid all of these. No! I miss my family so much, but I especially miss them during the holidays. I have family in Ohio and family in FL and I can't go home for holidays because of work, and vice versa. It sucks! Yes, I have my husband and children to spend the day with, but not even then, hubs has to work on Thanksgiving. Apparently a holiday does not stop people from flying. I know people gotta get to and fro but come on, let the ATC have a day off! When I was young holidays were always spent with family. I think that is what sends me into such a depression, knowing I won't see them.
So if you don't see me around Thursday or Friday...probably through the weekend I'm probably hiding in my bathroom doing my best to cope.

By the way, is my blog hard on the eyes now? Is it easy to see and read or do I need to change it?

***Information found on webmd.com***


If you or a loved one has depression, you may be able to take part in a local research study. Click Here

6 comments:

  1. Are we long lost twins?

    I'm a total Find My Happy Place kind of gal during the holidays. I have major anxiety issues, which is usually only exacerbated by my in-laws' need to "surprise" us by showing up unexpectedly Christmas Eve.

    Admittedly, I do drink to cope. Which is sad. And probably very, very wrong. But, I also find solace in my friends, because they know and understand what I'm going through. They drag me out and make me laugh and show me that it's all small potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information, and I do understand why many people feel this way during this time of the year.

    I like the new design of your blog, but the text is kinda hard to read, or maybe I'm too old :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine...It is overwhelming to me too. So much to do. I was just going to say I love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading it fine........and my heart goes out to you. My stepson and best friend are bipolar, so I have a bit of a clue as to what you're saying. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister is BP and I noticed she's been little more agitated lately especially since her son who has Asperger's Syndrome is getting overwhelmed with all the pre-holiday activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha. That all makes very good sense. I am glad you spelled it all out for me. Is there anything you can do to make the bathroom more cozy. Some pillows or maybe a candle. (Actually the whole bathroom hiatus sounds like a great idea for anyone.)
    Sounds like you are making the best of it. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete