Monday, November 15, 2010

You Said What?



Do you ever get that reaction when you talk? 
I find all to often these days people don't understand a word of what I'm saying. Either I talk to fast, or I talk to low, or I don't say words the same as they do. So since it doesn't matter how fast I type, you will read this at your own pace (blogging is good) we are gonna go over a few of "my" words and their proper pronunciation. 
**My spelling will be off here because it's the only way I know how to explain the way I say things.
Wash - has always been pronounced warsh by me.
Water - has always been pronounced warter.
Washer - goes along with warsh (you get the idea right).
Toilet - it's usually pronounced along the lines of tie-let.
Chonies (not sure if that's spelled right, this may be one of my very own made up words) - they are the things that cover your butt...what do y'all call them - panties, undies, underwear?

Those are just a few, and people love to mock the way I talk. Why is that? What does my pronunciation have to do with anything? I have no idea where I got these pronunciations from. I seem to be the only one in my family who says these. I do however know I'm not the only one who says warsh and warter though. 
So what about my speed and tone. I have always been a speed talker. When my sister and I get into a conversation you can forget about being a part of it because only her and I can understand what is being said. Call it sibling language or call it we just didn't want you in our business, it doesn't matter. I do tend to speed talk to other people though. 
My tone, well I am by far the quietest person. I don't know how or why people think I speak to quietly. Maybe it's just that I only speak "up" when I'm comfortable and just don't realize it. Either way, saying "huh" drives me insane. I don't know why, but it does! There has got to be a better way to saying "I didn't hear/understand you" then "huh." RIGHT?
I know I'm not the only who has my own made up language out here. So tell me what is it that you say differently, and people either say huh or give you the the huh look?

Take a survey....earn some money!

2 comments:

  1. Being born and raised in Eastern Europe I have the same problems. I have a little bit of an accent and according to my family and friends it is not really very noticeable yet people don't understand me.It drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that you throw an R in there so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete