Saturday, November 13, 2010

Slacker..

I've been such a slacker on my thanks. Things have been crazy busy and I know that is no excuse not to stop and count my blessings every day. So after todays news I want to give the last 6 days of thanks to my neighbor.


Yesterday we received the devastating news that my neighbor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. It is far too gone for them to be able to treat and they have given her 6-8 weeks to live. So I'm going to give her and her family all my thanks!
We moved here in June of 2007. We live out in the country and we have no friends or family here. Any time something has gone wrong they have been quick to jump in and help. They have been such great neighbors, and are a wonderful couple. I can't imagine the pain they are going through. 
My neighbor is such a strong woman. She is always up and working in her barn when I leave for work, and she's closing it down long after the sun has gone down. She has been taking care of her father who is ill. I admire her, and her will for life. 
I pray for a miracle!

Poetry used to be a huge part of my life. I used to love writing it, but quit long ago. I still find it comforting though. So here is another I found that seemed so fitting.

My neighbors and my friends are very dear to me
They are always there whenever there is a need

We talk to each other and we borrow and lend
Such treasures they are, my neighbors and friends

I sing when they sing and I laugh when they laugh
We do things for each other on the other's behalf

They share with me their many worries and fears
I share with them my compassion and my tears

How lonely and cheerless a place my soul would be
Without such neighbors and good friends as these

I cherish them all and take each one into my heart
Feeling the love and kindness each in turn imparts

Poem by: Ellen Bailey
Source: Ellen Bailey

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your neighbors. So sad that your neighbor has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I will keep her and her family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete