Sunday, January 10, 2010

Bipolar Disorder



Last time I posted what Bipolar was, and some of how it effects me (or maybe it's affects, damned if I can ever get those 2 straight.) So today I decided I will talk about the signs/symptoms of being bipolar. My hope is that by bringing awareness to this subject that people will 1. have a better understanding, 2. not look at those who do have it as if they are insane and 3. realize that it's not a crutch! So on w/ it:
Symptoms of mania or a manic episode include:

Mood Changes:
A long period of feeling "high," or an overly happy or outgoing mood. (I do this sometimes, where I'm extremely happy for no given reason, these episodes can creep up on me.)
Extremely irritable mood, agitation, feeling "jumpy" or "wired." (This is me most of the time. I get upset very easily, sometimes way to easy, just ask hubby, he laughs at me sometimes because I will cuss a cup out in a heartbeat!)
Behavioral Changes: (These are very important to be aware of)
Talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another, having racing thoughts
Being easily distracted
Increasing goal-directed activities, such as taking on new projects
Being restless
Sleeping little
Having an unrealistic belief in one's abilities
Behaving impulsively and taking part in a lot of pleasurable,
high-risk behaviors, such as spending sprees, impulsive sex, and impulsive business investments.

Now I know this is long, and you may not even be w/ me anymore, but these are just the Mania/Manic episodes. So often these are confused w/ ADHD. A Dr who doesn't see you every day usually misdiagnoses patients because all to often we don't tell them "everything" that is going on. I luckily have a Dr who takes her time w/ me, doesn't rush me ever and really listens. That helps a lot. So if this isn't something you are interested in reading, I will stop boring you now, if it is next Sunday I'll be posting about the Depression episodes.

3 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with depression in rehab in '92. I've been on meds ever since and had some therapy now and again which I don't think did much good.
    I think I may also have ADD, or maybe I am bipolar to some extent. I have had some highs, but not really very many and hardly any recently.
    I was diagnosed in '92 when I was 40, but have probably had it most of my life, when it was not something that folks talked about nor science recognized.
    Thanks,
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Melissa! I will be back to read about the depression you experience. I was diagnosed last winter with it. Not fun!

    On a lighter note, stop by tomorrow. I have a surprise for you from yours truly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank you for sharing. I didn't know...I have another friend in blogland that I also met in real life that is Bipolar. She has posted about it too.

    ReplyDelete