Sunday, January 31, 2010

 

I love that picture! Can ya tell?

Ok so it is said that other illnesses often co-exist w/ bipolar, so today it's about what they are.
Substance abuse is very common among people with bipolar disorder, but the reasons for this link are unclear. Some people with bipolar disorder may try to treat their symptoms with alcohol or drugs. However, substance abuse may trigger or prolong bipolar symptoms, and the behavioral control problems associated with mania can result in a person drinking too much.
When I was younger I had my share of substance abuse. I drank ALOT! I'm no angel, I did other "things" as well, but am proud to say that it's been over 13 years since I have touched a drug. Alcohol, well it really wasn't fun to me anymore after I turned 21 anyway, so I drink very very rarely these days. Don't try to guess my age, I will never tell.

Anxiety disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and social phobia, also co-occur often among people with bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder also co-occurs with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), which has some symptoms that overlap with bipolar disorder, such as restlessness and being easily distracted.
I could talk to you all day about anxiety disorder, and PTSD. I've suffered for years. I was diagnosed w/ anxiety disorder and treated for it, for years before I was diagnosed and treated for bipolar.

People with bipolar disorder are also at higher risk for thyroid disease, migraine headaches, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and other physical illnesses. These illnesses may cause symptoms of mania or depression. They may also result from treatment for bipolar disorder. 
Funny I had no idea that thyroid disease went along w/ bipolar disorder. I was just recently diagnosed w/ having a low functioning thyroid. See I learn something even through educating the rest of the world.

Other illnesses can make it hard to diagnose and treat bipolar disorder. People with bipolar disorder should monitor their physical and mental health. If a symptom does not get better with treatment, they should tell their doctor.

Happy Sunday! I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. 

4 comments:

  1. Those are interesting facts. Thank you for researching and sharing. It is good to be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this and am glad that you talked about it. I have really bad anxiety and PTSD. I am taking a great anxiety class right now. I have been on Ativan since something happened but am going to be starting buspar because I do not want to be on anything that is addicting. Anxiety is just awful. I really thank you for opening up about bipolar disorder. I have a friend who has had a very difficult time with her disorder and finding the right treatments.


    I am a new follower from FF. Please come by and follow back. I am doing some great giveaways right now. I hope you had a great weekend and Happy Monday. Juliana from A Blonde Walks Into A Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that cartoon is great! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wont try to guess your age cause I would be WRONG and you would write about me again ;) Have you started your thyroid medicine yet?

    ReplyDelete