Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday Reviews...

Disclosure: No payment was received for this blog post.
365 Quick, Cheap & Easy Dinner Menus
I have had this book for about 3 years now. I got it when my husband kept complaining about eating the same things over and over. I'm not a very good cook, I know how to cook, and there are a few things I can cook good, but I do not have an extensive knowledge of cooking. I'm not very good w/ spices either. I'm a 3 type of spices kind of lady, go w/ what you know right? I've made many, many recipes out of this book, and all but 1 so far have I found we don't like. This is a great book, w/ a lot of tips and hints in it. The meals are delicious and they are cheap! Who can complain about someone else planning your dinners for you for an entire year?! I certainly am not. This book can be found for cheap on www.amazon.com and it's worth every penny.
I'm going to give you one of the recent recipes that I cooked out of this book and the family loved! The whole family, hubby raved on it, and he never does. So here it is:

Homemade Chicken 'n' Noodle Soup
Prep time: about 45 min / Cook time: 30 min

1 Chicken Breast (I actually used a whole chicken I found on sale)
1 Chicken leg quarter
2 quarts water
2 tblsp chicken bouillon granules (I used 6 bouillon cubes)
1 cup of finely chopped celery OR large pieces*
1 cup of finely chopped carrots OR large pieces*
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp parsley
2 cups dry noodles

Cook chicken in 2 quarts of water. Add chicken bouillon. Cook until chicken is done. (For a richer broth, leave skin on chicken to cook.) When chicken is done, remove skin and discard. Debone chicken into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to broth. Add all remaining ingredients except for the noodles. Cook on medium-low heat until celery and carrots are tender. If you have picky eaters that refuse to eat vegetables, remove the large pieces of celery and carrot with a cup of broth and puree in a blender. (I hate veggies so this is what I did.) Pour puree back into the broth. Add dry noodles and cook until noodles are done. Serve immediately.

This is a really cheap, and a really easy recipe. I don't care for veggies, and I never would've known they were there had I not been the one to make it. I hope you all enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. I will have to check it out because I need all the help i can get in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropping by from SITS to say, "hello". Best wishes in 2010.

    Kindest regards,
    Brook

    ReplyDelete