Thursday, January 6, 2011

Amber Alert

Today I learned something new about the Amber Alert system that really gets under my skin. (That's my way of saying it pisses me off without saying it)

There is a missing teenager in Texas, her name is Hailey Dunn. Hailey Dunn is 13 years old and has been missing since December 27, 2010. She was supposed to spend the night at a friends house but never showed up there and her mother called the police the next day when she found out that she didn't return home.

Local police attempted to issue an Amber Alert but weren't able because there was "not enough information." Well isn't a child missing ENOUGH information? Isn't this system in place to find missing children? I was wrong! It appears that a missing child has to meet criteria to be put on the Amber Alert System. I had no idea that such criteria was in place. I thought we cared for ALL our missing children. Seriously if a child ran away, why not put that child on the Amber Alert system? Yes, they ran away...but does that make them any less important in finding them and ensuring their safety? I am not in anyway stating that is the case with Hailey Dunn.

So as it goes for an Amber Alert to be put out they must meet the following criteria:
*There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred. (Again I feel ALL our missing children are important...not just some)
*The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death. (I guess if they aren't in danger it doesn't matter. Never mind it might be a parent who loves their child but doesn't have the right to have them)
*There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child. (This is the case with Hailey Dunn...there is not enough information...ridiculous in my eyes)
*The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger. (I understand this one perfectly fine)

Each state also has the right to add their own criteria as well. I am so saddened that an alert can't be put out for this girl or other children in similar situations. Yes this one bothers me a lot!

17 comments:

  1. They need to get that Amber Alert up ASAP! If it was my 13 year old I would be livid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of missing children that do not fit this criteria is staggering! Our own niece was kidnapped and murdered, her body not found for 3 days. No Amber Alert was issued, nobody even knew to be looking for her. I think this system needs a drastic overhaul now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea they were so strict when issuing an Amber Alert. I think they have made it so complicated that many children who need immediate help will fall through the cracks. Just terrible. I hope she somehow makes her way home safely. I can't begin to imagine (and I don't want to) what her poor family must be dealing with.

    Oh and on another note, I dropped by to follow you and thank you for joining our cute cafe hop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutley the most disturbing news. I had no idea that the criteria was so strict. SOMETHING must be done about this. I agree with you...this is not right on so many levels.


    P.S. Thanks for stopping by Mom-a-Logues. I am following you back. I also appreciate you attempting to vote for my daughter in the photo contest. The trick is that you need to 'like' Cozy Cap Creations on Facebook and then the 'like' button will appear under her picture.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine !! The family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm following you back! Thanks for stopping the Elephant's Trunk :) I'm excited to follow your blog and keep up with it. I really enjoyed this post and agree with you 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you!! I don't think they put enough info on the alerts anyway!! It is so sad!
    Thanks for stopping by Keeping Up With The Rheinlander's
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh. my. goodness. I had no idea that those kinds of criteria existed. She is 13 and she is gone... she is not just a runaway she is a child in need. What if she has been coaxed into sex slavery somewhere. Geesh.

    Just found your blog and am a new follower.

    Alida from Blackpurl's Knitpickings

    ReplyDelete
  9. The worst part of this is that Amber Hagerman, the little girl who's story helped create the Amber Alert system, was from Texas. I was in high school when she was murdered, just a town over from where I grew up and it was horrible.

    With any law, system, or organization there are always holes. It irritates me to no end, because we basically create our own red tape. Really unfortunate that Texas, the state the created the Amber Alert system, can't get their act together long enough to find one of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is ridiculous! The criteria should be just that oh, the child is MISSING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm pissed about this too!


    i'm also following via gfc from blog hops thanks for the follow
    www.mamalovesherbargains.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you kidding me? This is absolutely absurd and wrong on so many levels.

    Missing child is a missing child and should be a priority to all. Now I am mad as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did not know that and it does piss me off. She needs to be put on the Amber Alert ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you. That is just crazy. That does make me upset too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have no idea that to put out an amber alert would require so much information and qualification. That's really sad..What will happen to this 13 years old if no authorities looking for her?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder what pieces of information were missing that they needed to fit the criteria. Seems like we could push more to revamp the system if we knew the exact specifics. Have you found any websites that give more details?

    ReplyDelete