Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cervical Cancer Awareness

January is cervical cancer awareness month. This is something that hits close to home since both my sisters and myself have had it. I feel it is so important to educate people on this topic. So many have a misconception about what it is and how it's caused.

*In the United States, About 11,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year and 4,000+ women die in the USA each year from this disease.

(That's an insane amount! I wonder if educating people more would help that number go down. )

*11% of United States women report that they do not have their Pap test screenings.

(I wonder if that 11% really knows how important this is to their health?) 

*High-Risk HPV Types are directly related to cervical cancer, yet many women are unaware of what HPV is or the relationship it has to cervical cancer.

(This is my goal...to educate more people.)

The National Cervical Cancer Center (NCCC) have some goals of their own.

*Maintain an on-going support system for women, family members and friends facing issues related to cervical cancer, HPV and other HPV cancers.

*Continue growing its existing recognition in the United States and ongoing recognition worldwide as a primary clinical and public education resource clearinghouse on cervical cancer, HPV related topics and other related cancers;

*Advocate for patient access to quality care and regular testing and vaccination to prevent cervical cancer/HPV disease

*Reduce the stigma associated with cervical cancer and HPV disease.

For the month of January women can get a free or low cost screening. Please go here to find a center in your state.

8 comments:

  1. Wow this is very informative! I have had cancer strike my family but not cervical. But I stay aware, and I am hoping you and your sister are in remission and doing well!

    God Bless

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very important to get your yearly pap's done. I had a Aunt who died of cervical cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had surgery last may for cervical cancer. It was stage 3. During that surgery a biopsy was done on my uterus (the uterus was blocked before surgery with what was thought to be fibroids & could not be done without my being under)That biopsy revealed stage 3 uterine cancer. So in August I had to have a complete hysterectomy. Don't mess around with your health ladies! I thought I was going through the change but it was cancer.
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for spreading awareness about this disease. It's something that has also affected my family. I'm a new follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. My sister had a cervical cancer and it was a scary time in our lives. I don't wish it on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about timely! My sister was just diagnosed with a strain of HPV that leads to cancer. Right now she's cancer-free. I hope she stays that way. That immunization is so important for girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the reminder, I need a pap & a mammo. Sounds like a fun day, huh?

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. So scary! I had no idea you had had cervical cancer. Thanks for giving us a reminder of how serious a topic this is.

    ReplyDelete