Wednesday, January 19, 2011

American Poverty

I have stated to a few of you that I had planned to bring awareness to something every Wednesday. I feel it's important to educate everyone I possibly can on these issues that I can. Even if 1 person learns something new then I will be happy.

With all that said January is American Poverty awareness month. I don't think that any of us who don't live it really understand just how bad it is. So with some information I got from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops I want to bring to light just how bad this is.

There are approximately 37.3 million Americans living below the poverty line. 1 in 6 children (that's 18%) fall into that category. This is so troublesome to me. I hate to think of any child going hungry or going to bed without food. It saddens me that we haven't found a better way to ensure that our children are cared for.

There are so many simple ways that we can help. You could find a local food bank and donate any items in your pantry that you won't be eating. We all buy stuff we think we are going to use but then we don't. I have been couponing for over a year now and it struck me the other day that it'd be so easy to get something with my coupons that is either free or cheap and donate those items to the food pantry. It wouldn't cost much if anything at all and it could really help a family in need. If you coupon please consider this option.

Feeding America is another great program helping families. If you can afford a small donation then send it. I do a lot of online surveys and I have decided to start donating a portion of my earnings to this cause. It won't cost me anything to do it and again I'll be helping a family in need. One in eight Americans depend on Feeding America to put food in their stomach. If you can help in any way it would be wonderful.

There are a ton of small ways that we can help people, even if we can't afford to take it out of our paycheck. You just have to get a little creative!

10 comments:

  1. I like to support things like this locally. I keep meaning to take canned goods over to the food bank here in town, because it seems like each month they get more and more people coming in who have hit hard times.

    Sadly, I don't think things are going to get any better this year. I know the talking heads say it will, but when I'm paying $3.05/gallon for gas in Texas, something's not right.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It's so important to draw attention to this. My church is very involved with a mission that serves hot meals to folks and gets them off the streets. And we give money to a missionary who feeds kids who live on a garbage heap in India. I can't even imagine. Great idea to give to a food pantry! I'll have to check that out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. Good for you for bringing awareness to your readers.
    I cannot imagine being in poverty. It makes you so grateful for what you have after reading this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post.In last two years so many people fell below poverty line joining already large number and so many are hanging by a tread. I see it everywhere I go even in our small town. Every little helps. The governments won't help us to get ahead and them to get out from the poverty so we have to help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a lot of extra money, but the food bank is something to which I regularly contribute. I also really like the coat drive in October as I have so many coats and simply don't need them all. Some are brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why it pisses me off that people like Oprah spend millions of dollars on building schools and feeding children in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in an area of KY that is plagued by poverty. My son's school is 98% free lunch. We have third world countries here and there is no reason for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We donate canned foods to our church every week since we have a program to feed the homeless on Wed. and Fri.

    This is a fantastic post, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you posted about this ... my heart breaks for these people I see on the side of the road. I live in a fairly affluent area and the other day I passed a man holding a sign that said "homeless, hungry and humiliated." He had no coat on yet 100 ft down the road, a man was walking a dog that had a coat on. Seriously? It's important we remember to help throughout the year, not just over the holiday season....

    ReplyDelete