Sunday, December 12, 2010

30 Days of Truth



Day 09 → Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.

I had a great friend when I was younger. Her and I did absolutely everything together. She was the first friend I made in Jr High when we moved to a new town. She made me a funny welcome letter in math class and that was it, we were instant friends.We spent every weekend together, either her at my house or me at her house. She was a part of my family and I was a part of hers. When her mother passed away unexpectedly I was devastated as were they. When my mom passed away, she was devastated as were we. It was a great friendship. We had babies at young ages, and raised our babies together. When we turned 18 we got a place together for a little while.

Then it happened...we met boys. Obviously we met boys before, but we met boys that we "thought" we were in love with. And it happened, slowly we drifted apart. I moved away because it was the best thing for me and my children and we drifted more. It happened slowly but eventually we just stopped talking all together. Only catching up with each other once a year.

She got married and asked me to be her made of honor, I was so happy because even though we were finding our place in this world we were still best friends. I happily agreed! The date was set for August. I was to go to Ohio to help her pick dresses, but I ended up becoming ill and wasn't able to make it, so she found what she wanted and I was ok with anything...it was after all her day. Then about the middle of May she called me and said they moved the wedding up to June. OMG...that just wasn't possible. I couldn't do June. I had plans with my family for June. Granted Prince Charming and I weren't married at the time, but we were blending our families and becoming one. I couldn't do June. How do I just cancel our vacation with our kids we had planned. I didn't make it to her wedding. I apologized and tried to explain to her that she told me just a month before that she planned to move the wedding date.

She didn't forgive me. She didn't talk to me for close to 5 years. I still loved her, she was a huge part of my life in my teen years. I understood why she was upset, but I guess I expected her to see my side of things. It wasn't enough though. Our friendship was strained after that.

Now 2 years later, I have just let our friendship go completely. I'm so sorry that I have to do that, but now it is what is best for my family. I will always love her, but the friendship has come to its finally.

What would you do if you were in the same situation I was in with having a vacation planned with my family, and her moving the wedding up?

Just so you know that is not why the friendship has come to a final end and I promise to give a later explanation at a later date.

1 comment:

  1. That is just so sad. I can't imagine losing any of my good girlfriends like that... Why on earth did she change the wedding date? Did she really not understand why you couldn't make it? I get that she was sad but then ok get over it and know that you tried but had plans that couldn't be changed. End of story. It's really such a shame that it ended. But I suppose, you learned a fabulous lesson here. Now you know what you need in a friendship.

    ReplyDelete